Can I receive a state grant to attend a private college?

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 10,563
    Financial advisor Brad Barnett discusses whether you can eceive a state grant to attend a private college.

    Brad Barnett

    Brad received his Bachelor of Science degree from Southern Arkansas University, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Business.  He furthered his education by graduating from the Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University with a Master of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, specializing in Mental Health.  He has been involved in the financial aid and/or rehabilitation professions for the past 15 years. Brad, a Past President of the Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (VASFAA), currently serves as the Senior Associate Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships for James Madison University.  Immediately prior to JMU, he served as an Assistant Director of the Financial Aid Office at Virginia Commonwealth University.  Brad has presented numerous sessions at state, regional, and national conferences, and has served on a variety of association committees.  In addition to speaking at professional conferences, Brad has conducted an abundance of workshops and presentations in non-conference environments, including teaching a credit based financial literacy course at JMU entitled “Dollars and Sense.”  Many of the topics Brad’s speaks on include communication, leadership, values, financial aid policies and procedures, financial literacy, and saving for college.  He has also facilitated strategic planning and value development retreats.

    Host: Can I receive a State grant to attend a private college?

    Brad Barnett: What you will find is, most States don t offer grant money for students to attend a private college. Now, I said most because that s certainly not true for all. I know in Virginia, we do have a State grant for students to go to private college, so it does happen from time to time. Your best resource to find out whether that s applicable to you, is to talk to your private college, find out if there is any State grant money you can get and if so, what applications do you need to complete in order to have access to it.