Fire Safety – Electricity Burns

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 12,313
    In this video, Dan Dillard, Executive Director of the Burn Prevention Network discusses recommended modifications in both day to day behaviors and home equipment that will prevent devastating electrical burns, especially to toddlers and young children.

    Dan Dillard: Hi! I am Dan Dillard of the Burn Prevention Network. Today I am talking about Home Fire Safety and Burn Prevention. And now I am going to discuss electric burns, a shocking danger. Toddlers and small children are especially at risk to burns from home electricity.

    Therefore, it's important to install outlet covers in all unused outlets. Better yet, install Tamper-resistant outlets that won't allow children to stick objects in plugs. Water and electricity do not mix. Any outlet within three feet of a water source must be a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlet.

    Is your extension cord an Octopus? Use extension cords only on a temporary basis. Avoid overloading an outlet with plug multipliers which creates the cord Octopus never use indoor extension cords outside; use a cord that is the proper length.

    Unplug appliances that remain in ready mode when turned off, if they will be out of service for an extended period of time. I hope this video will help you to safely enjoy the conveniences of your home without increasing the risk of electrical burns and fire.