Tracy Mitchell: Hi! I am Tracy Mitchell with the National Association of Health Underwriters Education Foundation. Today, we're talking about how to treat anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is another way to refer to an allergic reaction. Being able to detect allergic reactions early can save lives.
More than 12 million children have respiratory allergies and the Centers for Disease Control reports that out of 3.
4 million children with food allergies there are approximately 9500 hospital visits a year. Symptoms of anaphylaxis include sudden anxiety, weakness, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, very low blood pressure, loss of consciousness and shock. Hives, swelling and difficulty speaking are also early indicators of allergic reaction.
Allergies may also trigger other less severe allergic conditions such as skin rash or chronic bellyache. Anaphylactic shock can occur within minutes constricting the airway and causing brain damage or even death. A patient in anaphylactic shock needs immediate medical treatment. Do not hesitate to call 911 even those with mild symptoms should see a doctor immediately as reactions can increase in severity from prolong exposure too or multiple encounters with an allergen.
Follow doctor's instructions carefully for allergy treatment. Ask about a medication regimen and emergency equipment that can be kept on hand. Both you and your child should know the proper method to administer adrenaline by epinephrine injector or EpiPen. Regularly check the condition and expiration date of all medications injectors and inhalers.
A doctor's note should be provided to school administrators and caregivers about any treatments your child will need to carry with him or her. Talk to your healthcare provider to help determine what treatments work best to protect your child from deadly allergic reactions.