Resolving Tax Problems

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 15,217
    Laurence Lawler, National Director of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers discusses how to resolve your tax problems.

    Lawrence Lawler: Hello. My name is Lawrence Lawler. I am the National Director of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers. Today I would like to share some information with you regarding tax problems resolution and solving problems that taxpayers had when dealing with the IRS.

    The topics we are going to cover today include dealing with unfiled tax returns and unpaid taxes. When we talk about tax problems what we mean by that is that a taxpayer either hasn't filed a tax return or in fact hasn't paid the tax as is on an filed tax return. The solutions are the things that are most important to you, and that's what we are going to cover today including offering compromise which is the government's Let's Make a Deal Program, we are going to cover payment plans where you get extra time to pay the taxes that you owe.

    We are going to discuss innocent spouse status where one spouse may not have a tax liability even though it appears so. How taxes are discharged and bankruptcy will be included. We will discuss the statute of limitation. We will discuss Currently Non-Collectible Status that a taxpayer maybe placed it, and we will wrap it up with appeals of IRS actions.

    As we get started today I would like to point out to you that I am going to give you pointers and precautions, things that you should be aware of when you are dealing with the IRS, things to do, things not to do, things that perhaps you don't want to say to the IRS while you are dealing with them. But those items will be more appropriate as we get to the specifics topics within the presentation.

    The organization that I am with is the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers. We are a national nonprofit professional organization dedicated to raising the educational level and the ethical level of our practitioners. You should always look for ASTPS logo when dealing with the IRS and looking for representation. As far as my background goes, I am a Certified Public Accountant and an Enrolled Agent as well as being a Certified Tax Resolution Specialist. So let's get started on solving some of your tax problems.