Sparkler Fireworks

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 19,936
    Bill Weimer with Phantom Fireworks talks about safe and proper use of consumer fireworks. This video focuses on Sparklers.

    Bill Weimer: Hi, I am Bill Weimer with Phantom Fireworks and today we are talking about the safe and proper use of consumer fireworks. First, we are going to talk about Sparklers.

    A Sparkler traditionally is a wire stick coated with a pyrotechnic mixture that is adhered to the stick, when lit, burns slowly down admitting sparks from the stick. A variation of the sparkler is called a Morning Glory, and Morning Glory differs in that a small amount of pyrotechnic mixture composition is in a thin paper tube that's then wrapped with paper to a stick and it burns down in very similar fashion to a sparkler.

    Sparklers burn in excess of a 1000 degrees Fahrenheit; although the warning label on a sparkler package says to use under close adult supervision, Phantom believes that adults should use the sparklers for children's benefit and enjoyment and the close adult supervision should be keeping the children away from the burning sparklers.

    Light only one sparkler at a time. Sparklers are constructed in such a way that if you light more than one at a time, instead of burning down slowly, it's going to cause a dangerous flare up. The best practice is to take a sparkler, stick it in a flower pot, a bucket of sand or in the case of the large sparklers, directly into the ground. Light them and have the children watch from a safe distance.

    When the sparklers are spent the stick still can be very hot. So what we recommend, as soon as you are done with the sparklers, immerse them in a bucket of water to immediately cool them down and avoid the prospect of anybody getting burned with a residual heat on the stick.

    Now that we have familiarized you with sparklers, let's move on and talk about fountains.