Understanding ADHD

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 21,625
    An introduction to a series by Dr. Jack Naglieri about understanding ADHD in children.

    Jack Naglieri

    Dr. Jack A. Naglieri is Professor of Psychology at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. Prior to his current position he was Professor of School Psychology and Psychology at the Ohio State University where he taught from 1982 to 2000. The author of more than 150 scholarly papers, chapters, books, and tests, he has focused his efforts since the late 1970s on reconceptualizing intelligence. He also the recipient of the Senior Scientist Award, and holds an appointment as a senior Research Scientist at the Devereux Foundation's Institute for Clinical Training and Research. Dr. Naglieri obtained his Bachelor's degree in Psychology from Long Island University, Master of Science from St. John's University, and Ph.D. in Educational Psychology from the University of Georgia in 1979. He worked as a school psychologist in the New York area from 1974-1977. Jack A. Naglieri is also the author of the Cognitive Assessment System (Naglieri & Das, 1997), the CAS Scoring Aide (Naglieri, 2002), the General Ability Measure for Adults (Naglieri & Bardos, 1997), Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (Naglieri, 1996), Devereux Scoring Assistant (LeBuffe, Naglieri, & Pfeiffer, 1996), Devereux Scales of Mental Disorders (Naglieri, LeBuffe, & Pfeiffer, 1994), Devereux Behavior Rating Scales School Form (Naglieri, LeBuffe, & Pfeiffer, 1994), Draw A Person: Screening Procedure for Emotional Disturbance (Naglieri, McNeish, & Bardos, 1990), Draw A Person: Quantitative Scoring System (Naglieri, 1988), Matrix Analogies Test (Naglieri, 1985).

    Host: How can I tell if my child has ADHD?

    Dr. Jack A. Naglieri: It is really not a good idea for parents or for teachers to try to decide if the child has ADHD or not. There are many reasons why a child might appear to have ADHD, but that may not be the case. Sometimes children who have anxiety disorders oftentimes seem disorganized, they can t focus, they get distracted by little noises and such, and it is not because they have ADHD, but they have something else, and in fact it is very important if you think that the child may have some kind of attention problem or any other disability, then you take that child to a professional who is trained specifically in these kind of diagnosis and is capable of making an affective diagnosis, and to do it in a way that is most consistent with our current thinking about these disorders. Like most disorders in psychology and education, there is an evolving understanding of what the particular disorder is and what you really want to do is, ensure that you get someone who is very current in thinking about ASHD especially. So, you would want to go to a psychologist or a school psychologist or a pediatrician, who specializes in determining if the child has attention deficit. It is not a good idea to go on the Internet and take a little test to see if my child has ADHD, those kinds of instruments or those kinds of methods have a lots of limitations. You can easily be misled and to think your child has something wrong with him or her when they don t, it is better to go to professional. If you child is in school, you should go to the school psychologist. School psychologist can do these kinds of evaluations and in fact it will be something that could be provided as a service to the parent without cost of a individual licensed psychologist who could also do an evaluation, but that would be at a fee.