What applications do I need to complete if I am a graduate student?

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 10,534
    Financial advisor Brad Barnett discusses what applications you need to complete if you are a graduate student.

    Brad Barnett

    Brad received his Bachelor of Science degree from Southern Arkansas University, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Business.  He furthered his education by graduating from the Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University with a Master of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, specializing in Mental Health.  He has been involved in the financial aid and/or rehabilitation professions for the past 15 years. Brad, a Past President of the Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (VASFAA), currently serves as the Senior Associate Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships for James Madison University.  Immediately prior to JMU, he served as an Assistant Director of the Financial Aid Office at Virginia Commonwealth University.  Brad has presented numerous sessions at state, regional, and national conferences, and has served on a variety of association committees.  In addition to speaking at professional conferences, Brad has conducted an abundance of workshops and presentations in non-conference environments, including teaching a credit based financial literacy course at JMU entitled “Dollars and Sense.”  Many of the topics Brad’s speaks on include communication, leadership, values, financial aid policies and procedures, financial literacy, and saving for college.  He has also facilitated strategic planning and value development retreats.

    Host: What applications do I need to complete if I am a graduate student?

    Brad Barnett: Financial aid as in graduate student is very different than financial aid as in undergraduate. You still need to complete the FAFSA if you want to access to federal student loan. That s the first application to start with there, but by and large, most of the time you are out of the federal grants and states grant loop. There maybe a few states who offer grant dollars for graduate students, but typically speaking, the free money that graduate students get would come from the college itself or come from private sources. So, you do the FAFSA for student loans and then if you re looking for additional money, I suggest speaking with your academic department or the graduate school at your university, because they may be able to help you find some of those funds.