What applications need to be completed for federal student aid?

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 12,532
    Financial advisor Brad Barnett discusses what applications need to be completed for federal student aid.

    Brad Barnett

    Brad received his Bachelor of Science degree from Southern Arkansas University, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Business.  He furthered his education by graduating from the Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University with a Master of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, specializing in Mental Health.  He has been involved in the financial aid and/or rehabilitation professions for the past 15 years. Brad, a Past President of the Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (VASFAA), currently serves as the Senior Associate Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships for James Madison University.  Immediately prior to JMU, he served as an Assistant Director of the Financial Aid Office at Virginia Commonwealth University.  Brad has presented numerous sessions at state, regional, and national conferences, and has served on a variety of association committees.  In addition to speaking at professional conferences, Brad has conducted an abundance of workshops and presentations in non-conference environments, including teaching a credit based financial literacy course at JMU entitled “Dollars and Sense.”  Many of the topics Brad’s speaks on include communication, leadership, values, financial aid policies and procedures, financial literacy, and saving for college.  He has also facilitated strategic planning and value development retreats.

    Host: What applications need to be completed for federal student aid?

    Brad Barnett: When you are applying for a federal student aid, there is one form that you have to complete, no matter what s school you attend and that s the free application for federal student aid. We like to call it the FAFSA for short because it's a mouthful, but whether you re going to a public college or private college or two-year college or four-year college, any school that s giving you federal aid needs to use that FAFSA form to determine your eligibility.