What applications need to be completed for student aid on the state level?

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 11,181
    Financial advisor Brad Barnett discusses what applications need to be completed for student aid on the state level.

    Brad Barnett

    Brad received his Bachelor of Science degree from Southern Arkansas University, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Business.  He furthered his education by graduating from the Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University with a Master of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, specializing in Mental Health.  He has been involved in the financial aid and/or rehabilitation professions for the past 15 years. Brad, a Past President of the Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (VASFAA), currently serves as the Senior Associate Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships for James Madison University.  Immediately prior to JMU, he served as an Assistant Director of the Financial Aid Office at Virginia Commonwealth University.  Brad has presented numerous sessions at state, regional, and national conferences, and has served on a variety of association committees.  In addition to speaking at professional conferences, Brad has conducted an abundance of workshops and presentations in non-conference environments, including teaching a credit based financial literacy course at JMU entitled “Dollars and Sense.”  Many of the topics Brad’s speaks on include communication, leadership, values, financial aid policies and procedures, financial literacy, and saving for college.  He has also facilitated strategic planning and value development retreats.

    Host: What applications need to be completed for student aid on the state level?

    Brad Barnett: Yeah, financial aid from the state level is going to vary. It s going to vary those 50 States; it's going to vary from each state. Now, what you ll find is a lot of states, when it comes to public colleges will use that federal FAFSA form to determine who gets their state financial aid; but you will find there are some States that may require additional applications that are state specific.

    When you are dealing with private colleges, most of the time they don t have access to state financial aid like the publics do, but there are some private college in some states that do offer financial assistance for private colleges. In those situations, there is probably going to be an additional application as well not just the FAFSA. So the best way to get the answer to that question is going to be for you to ask the particular school that you are interested in attending and be specific what applications do I need to apply for a state financial assistance.