What is a Federal Title IV school code?

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 17,884
    Financial advisor Brad Barnett discusses what a Federal Title IV school code is.

    Brad Barnett

    Brad received his Bachelor of Science degree from Southern Arkansas University, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Business.  He furthered his education by graduating from the Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University with a Master of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, specializing in Mental Health.  He has been involved in the financial aid and/or rehabilitation professions for the past 15 years. Brad, a Past President of the Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (VASFAA), currently serves as the Senior Associate Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships for James Madison University.  Immediately prior to JMU, he served as an Assistant Director of the Financial Aid Office at Virginia Commonwealth University.  Brad has presented numerous sessions at state, regional, and national conferences, and has served on a variety of association committees.  In addition to speaking at professional conferences, Brad has conducted an abundance of workshops and presentations in non-conference environments, including teaching a credit based financial literacy course at JMU entitled “Dollars and Sense.”  Many of the topics Brad’s speaks on include communication, leadership, values, financial aid policies and procedures, financial literacy, and saving for college.  He has also facilitated strategic planning and value development retreats.

    Host: What is a Federal Title IV School Code?

    Brad Barnett: When you complete the free application for federal student aid, or FAFSA form as we call it, you have to designate on that form where you want the application to go. The Federal Title IV School Code is how you designate each college. So instead of putting your college s name, for example, if you wanted to put, James Madison University on it, instead of doing that, you can put 003721. That tells the Department Of Education, you want the application that go to JMU and then they will subsequently send it to us.