When transferring schools, what can I do to make sure I get my financial aid?

    Published: 06-16-2009
    Views: 13,310
    Financial advisor Brad Barnett discusses how to make sure you get financial aid when transferring schools.

    Brad Barnett

    Brad received his Bachelor of Science degree from Southern Arkansas University, with a major in Psychology and a minor in Business.  He furthered his education by graduating from the Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University with a Master of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, specializing in Mental Health.  He has been involved in the financial aid and/or rehabilitation professions for the past 15 years. Brad, a Past President of the Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (VASFAA), currently serves as the Senior Associate Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships for James Madison University.  Immediately prior to JMU, he served as an Assistant Director of the Financial Aid Office at Virginia Commonwealth University.  Brad has presented numerous sessions at state, regional, and national conferences, and has served on a variety of association committees.  In addition to speaking at professional conferences, Brad has conducted an abundance of workshops and presentations in non-conference environments, including teaching a credit based financial literacy course at JMU entitled “Dollars and Sense.”  Many of the topics Brad’s speaks on include communication, leadership, values, financial aid policies and procedures, financial literacy, and saving for college.  He has also facilitated strategic planning and value development retreats.

    Host: When transferring schools, what can I do to make sure I get my financial aid?

    Brad Barnett: Yeah, transferring from school to school can be a little stressful process, especially when you start dealing with financial aid. There are a lot of steps involved. One of the first things you need to do is make sure that the new school you are attending is listed on your FAFSA. If they are not, then you should contact to the Department of Education and you can go online to do this and add them, that way that will get your FAFSA form.

    The other thing you need to do is touch base with your current school. If they have awarded you financial aid for the entire year and you are not going to be there for the entire year because you are moving schools, then you want to ask them to cancel anything they have awarded for you that s going to cover you during the term you are not there. For example, if you re going to start a new school in the spring semester and your current school has awarded you aid for that semester, have them cancel it. In some situations your new school won t be able to award you financial aid until that has happened.